Mental Health Core Standards
In October 2017 Farmer & Stevenson published the Thriving at Work Report which had been commissioned by the then Prime Minister Theresa May to shed light on how employers in the UK can better support their employees with mental health problems.
The report contained a range of far reaching recommendations that employers could (and should) be doing in order to protect and support employees suffering mental health problems, but perhaps more importantly drew attention to a number of preventative mental health strategies.
Their recommendations include mental health core standards that they assert ALL companies ought to be adopting, not only from an ethical perspective, but also because managing mental health at work can produce positive economic outcomes.
What Are the Mental Health Core Standards?
- Produce, implement and communicate a mental health at work plan;
- Develop mental health awareness among employees;
- Encourage open conversations about mental health and the support available when employees are struggling;
- Provide employees with good working conditions and ensure they have a healthy work life balance and opportunities for development;
- Promote effective people management through line managers and supervisors;
- Routinely monitor employee mental health and wellbeing.
Enhanced Mental Health Cores Standards
In addition to these mental health core standards, Farmer and Stevenson go further and suggest that in the very best organisations a set of ‘enhanced’ standards could be implemented.
- Increase transparency and accountability through internal and external reporting;
- Demonstrate accountability;
- Improve the disclosure process;
- Ensure provision of tailored in-house mental health support and signposting to clinical help.
Prevental Healthcare can help your organisation to implement the mental health core standards as well as the enhanced standards as part of our corporate wellness partnership programme.
The programme offers two different levels of support with one level focusing on the mental health and well-being of individual members of management and staff and the second level focusing on systemic organisation changes designed to prevent mental health problems occurring in the first place,including the implementation of the mental health cores standards described here.
Why Choose Prevental?
Paul is a highly experienced, academically qualified psychologist with over 30 years experience of working with people to overcome life challenges and achieve life goals.
We are an approved supplier of mental health support services to the NHS Black Country Clinical Commissioning Groups who we have been working with since late 2017.
We have been helping improve people's mental health in the West Midlands since 2009 and have more than 30,000 hours of clinical experience.
Prevental Healthcare are expert mental health professionals dedicated to helping you and your employees thrive.
Want to find out more?
Prevental Healthcare Ltd.
Company Reg. 13061303